Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The latest from the universe

Remember when I was thinking about how to reach underserved, inner-city parents and their babies with Kindermusik? Remember how just as I was thinking of this, I heard the story of Geoffrey Canada and his parenting programs in Harlem? Remember how I decided to try to do something like that in Dayton?

Well.

I had called the Miami Valley Literacy Council, where I was so gratified to learn that they remembered me from volunteer work I did with infant Jacob in my arms, when we lived here years ago. I remember what a great parent you were, said the director. I almost cried to hear that. We all have moments when we don't feel like a marvelous parent, and I feel like I've had a few of those moments lately. And here was someone who actually remembered me for that quality.

Well.

It turns out that on the same day I called MVLC, they received a big grant for a parenting program for teen parents. They needed a qualifed teacher, but part time. I went and met with them today. They hired me.

I'm now going to teach the Nurturing Parenting curriculum three days a week to teen mothers at an alternative high school in downtown Dayton. I'll still be able to drop off my children and pick them up from school every day.

They want me to work with the curriculum however I see fit, working in lots of musical songs and games and literacy building and lots of things that I'm dreaming up right now as I type.

I think I have just found out why I moved to Dayton.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!

Those young parents lucked out, big-time!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is giving me goosebumps.