Friday, August 15, 2008

A book review, in brief

Here's a brief book review for you, though you don't need it, as I'm quite sure I'm the last woman in North America to read Elizabeth Gilbert's book, Eat, Pray, Love.

She can write, no doubt about it. It's an engaging book, even if you ask yourself, as I did, um, why am I still reading this? The subtitle is "one woman's search for everything through Italy, India, and Indonesia." I offer this alternate subtitle: "spiritual renewal through total self-absorption." Or, perhaps, "how the world will peel you a grape if you are a tall, lithe blonde American with a fetching smile." Or how about, "how you might kill a year if you had absolutely no responsibilities and money was no object."

So, I guess I didn't love it, although there were sections that felt true and right, and she's good company for a summer read.

No comments: