Friday, August 1, 2008

In the plum of summer


We have a plum tree in our backyard. It doesn't look like much, and I didn't expect much from it. Boy, was I wrong. Bumper crop! Of the cutest, tiniest, sweetest and juiciest plums you've tasted. So many! The kids and all the neighbor kids snack on them all the time, plucking them off the tree and into their mouths. We've left a ladder by the tree so anyone can grab one from the higher branches any time. There are still plenty for the birds and the squirrels and the butterflies and other bugs, and still there are so many. We took bowls to the neighbors. I made Plum Upside Down Cake, which was eaten so fast there was a vacuuming sound.
By the way, check out those summer legs. Dirt, bruises, scratches, bug bites, band-aids. I can't recall when I last saw shoes on those feet.
Ahh, summer. Happy August, everyone.

No comments: