Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lest I forget

You, know, amid all this talk of moving to Ohio from Virginia, I may be in danger of forgetting that I'm actually from the Pacific Northwest. I graduated from high school in Tacoma, I went to the University of Washington in Seattle, my parents live on the Olympic Peninsula, and my brother lives in Bellingham (by the Canadian border). We also got to live in Tacoma for 2 years while my husband was stationed at McChord Air Force Base. We own a little house there, which we rent out. All this is to say that I have a lot of connections there, and Justin and I plan to settle back there. One of these days. Post Ohio.

A friend sent this today, and I thought I'd share it. It's true, true! I thought my friend Heidi, who drops by to read this blog, bless her soul, would get a chuckle from this--she's now a head-to-toe Texan, but once upon a time she was a moldy Oregonian. :)

You might be a Pacific Northwesterner if:
1. You know the state flower (Mildew).
2. You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.
3. Use the statement "sun break", and know what it means.
4. You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.
5. You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.
6. You feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant or to church.
7. You stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "WALK" signal.
8. You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it's not a real mountain.
9. You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Veneto 's.
10. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye salmon.
11. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Haceta, Yaquina, Yachats, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima, and Willamette .
12. You consider swimming an indoor sport.
13. You can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Thai food.
14. In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark while only working eight-hour days.
15. You never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.
16. You are not fazed by "Today's forecast:
Showers followed by rain,"and "Tomorrow's forecast: Rain followed by showers."
17. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation.
18. You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.
19. You can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you cannot see them through the cloud cover.
20. You use the phrase "The mountain is out"
when it is a pretty day and you can actually see it.
21. You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.
22. You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.
23. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.
24. You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.
25. You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.
26. You measure distance in hours.
27. You often switch from "heat" to "a/c" in the same day.
28. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.
29. You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Raining, Road Construction, and Deer & Elk season.

1 comment:

Heidi Day said...

You baited me.....I am laughing my head off here in Texas.....and no, I haven't claimed this state entirely, even after almost 14 years. I always answer "I'm from Oregon" when asked "where are you from?". I can't help it. I really can't. My heart is there, altho' there are many things to like about Texas...Anyway, I was completely dissolved by some of these. They are unfortunately too true!!!! I never carried an umbrella. What's the use? It really doesn't RAIN in the true sense of the word. You know you're an Oregonian when you know the meaning of the word "DRIZZLE". I never hear that in Texas!! You know what they say about Texas....everything is BIG here. It FLOODS here....the FLASH variety if you know what I mean! Another funny from Oregon we always used to say is, how does an Oregonian know it's summer?

The rain is warmer!

Oregonians don't tan....

they rust!

Should I continue??

(I just made plane reservations for Oregon this afternoon, and I can't wait to get out there in August!)