Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Addictive Radio Lab

WNYC, New York Public Radio, puts out its own fabulous radio show. It's called Radio Lab, and every time I've had the good fortune to be in my car when it's been on, I've not been able to get out when I got to my destination--I HAD to sit right there and HEAR it. Thus was the situation Sunday evening, when Radio Lab occasionally airs on WAMU, 88.5. The topic this time, if you can believe it, was musical language. A whole show about the intrinsic connection between how we learn music and how we learn language.

I was a bit annoyed, because I had obligations and, you know, life, so I did finally have to get out of the car, long before the show was over. Later it finally dawned on me that I didn't live in the dark ages anymore, and I could listen to that show anytime I want. So I did, and you can too, right here. Enjoy!

It's interesting to me that I use the web every single day, in so many ways, but I'm still capable of an oversight like that. The habits of mind I formed before the web took over how we get information is still very much with me, even though I've learned the new system. I'm still amazed.

My children are not amazed. They just know, as a matter of basic fact, that they can find out (and listen to) anything they want to know, at any time.

No comments: