Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I Love You, I Love You, is what she said


A wonderful woman lived in a shoe
She had so many children,
and she knew exactly what to do.
She hugged them, and rocked them,
and tucked them in bed,
I love you, I love you, is what she said.

So goes the re-imagined nursery rhyme (remember the original? yikes!) by Becky Bailey, Ph.D., from her book I Love You Rituals. Scores of rhymes, interactive finger plays, soothing games, and physically active games for newborns through age eight.

I Love You rituals:
- Prime a child's brain for learning (by raising their dopamine levels)
- enhance attention, cooperation, and self-esteem
- help children cope with change
- help busy families stay close


I participated in a workshop with Dr. Bailey at the Kindermusik International conference in Chicago in October. I was blown away by her presentation--wonderful ideas supported by in-depth research into child development, child psychology, and human neurobiology.

By all means, get yourself a copy of this book!

No comments: