Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Let your light so shine

Hi, Readers, a correction! I learned today that I had incorrectly attributed this quote to Nelson Mandela. This quote is actually from Marianne Williamson, author on spirituality. Apparently one sentence from this quote sounds a lot like a part of Mandela's 1994 inaugural address, so this is incorrect all over the internet. But no longer here!


Here, a quote. This feels timely to me right now, in the dawn of our new year, while we're still thinking about what we're going to make of this year and what we'll make of ourselves in it.





"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other peole won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory...that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."





- Marianne Williamson

3 comments:

Merry said...

I thought you would like to know that this quote is actually by Marianne Williamson, from her book "A Return to Love." I'm not sure why, but it has been attributed to Nelson Mandela in a number of places. The website below has two links to speeches of Mr. Mandela's, whose words are also very inspiring. It's wonderful to have an abundance of visionaries on the planet.
http://skdesigns.com/internet/
articles/quotes/williamson/
our_deepest_fear/#note

Heidi Day said...

OH MY! I had posted this in my journal awhile back!!! Guess my journal is getting good.

Launa Hall said...

Merryo, thank you so much for the correction! You know, I had this odd sense that it didn't quite sound like him. I'm checking out your link, and thanks again.