Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Duct tape, elbow grease, and pride


My son and his Odyssey of the Mind team competed on Saturday, March 15, in the regional competition.


They were terrific, and I'm not sure who was more proud--the kids themselves, or their parents watching them in action.


If you're not familiar with Odyssey, it's an international program to promote problem-solving, creative thinking, and teamwork in kids from elementary school up through college. Teams select one problem from about seven available each year, and they solve it in their own way with their own "theme," on a tight budget, with no interference from anyone else. I was my son's team's coach, and my job was to ensure everyone's voice was being heard, remind them of how fast time was flying by, check for safety, and feed them snacks. The rest they did themselves. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've blogged about this before.


Interested in this for your child? Please check out http://www.odysseyofthemind.com/.


It's messy, it's noisy, it's inefficient, it's heart-stopping because it'll look for a while like they're not going to come up with anything coherent, but then they do and they are marvelous. It's wonderful.

No comments: