Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wishes

My husband and I bid on a house in Beavercreek (suburban Dayton), Ohio. We bid yesterday, which expired at 9 last night. At 9pm on the dot, the realtor called us to let us know that the current owners counter-offered, at a price that was, oh, a few pennies less than their asking price. (Hasn't anyone told them that this is a buyer's market?) So we counter-offered again for a little bit more, and we'll either get an acceptance or it will expire at 6pm tomorrow.

Ahem, was that a bit too much detail? Yes, it was. Even for me. Real estate is an emotional roller coaster. One minute I think I'm going to die if they don't accept our offer, and then next minute I'm actually hoping they turn it down because maybe would I rather live in Oakwood after all? One minute I'm convinced the house is ours because I think we bid generously, and the next minute I'm sure it's not because we didn't bid full price. It's a wonderful house. Big, pretty, walking distance to a great school, cul-de-sac lot, nice yard, neighborhood full of kids, kitchen and family room full of light and windows.

Before you can pick out the house you want to buy, you have to know yourself pretty well. This is tricky for me, as I have lived in many, many places, and I can imagine myself living in many, many situations. Suburban DC? Absolutely. Small town in Indiana? Yes. Downtown Seattle? Certainly. Rural England? Definitely. Ohio? Why not? But where in Ohio? The shorter walk to school, or the nicer house? The better school, or the wonderful backyard with the mature trees for running, climbing, and playing? The house with quirky charm or the move-in-ready house on the cul-de-sac? What do I wish for?

Which brings me to Jacob and Leah's wish list. Why a wish list in March? Because we're going to move, I guess, and new things seem to be in order. They slipped their carefully crafted and much debated list onto my desk, and here is what it says:

Jacob's + Leah's Wish List (not in order of liking)

1. Wii (the newer the better)
2. Computer (laptop preferred)
3. Property (bigger the better)
4. MP3 player (or Ipod) for Leah
5. Laser gun (s)
6. spy stuff
7. tree house/zip line in Ohio
8. cap gun
9. green house
10. dog
11. a diamond
12. our own bedrooms in Ohio
13. a fancy house with a big backyard for our dog
14. all the Legos in the world

I don't know what to think of this list. I don't know whether to laugh (kids being kids), cry (kids being uprooted), be annoyed (kids being materialistic), be touched (kids thinking about what the other kid wants). So, I'm thinking it over. I'll get back to you.

What's on your wish list?

No comments: