Saturday, December 15, 2007

Welcome, Yule!


My family went with me to the Christmas Revels today. That's the way it was with my children: they rolled their eyes and dragged their feet and said, I don't wanna...until I said, look, you don't have to pretend you like it, but if you go with me and be reasonably pleasant, that would be a great Christmas present to me. So, they both agreed in that spirit, and surprise, they ended up having a nice time. Check out their website: http://www.revelsdc.org/


I absolutely loved it. The Revels, with their emphasis on well-researched, time-heralded songs and tunes that people have been singing to mark the winter solstice for centuries, speaks to me. I feel that I am tapping into traditions that my soul is thirsty for. I wish it spoke more to my children, but hey, I guess I can't have everything.


So, merry Christmas to me. And welcome, Yule!

No comments: