Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The independant bookstore that could


There's an independant bookstore in a little town in Ohio that you really should know about: Loganberry Books. Check out their website here, as there are many wonderful things to explore. But the feature that Loganberry Books offers that just kills me is this: Stump the Bookseller.


Did you read a certain book as a child that you've thought about ever since? Perhaps the cover illustration, or a certain turn of phrase, or the killer plot line. But, being a kid, you didn't take note of the title or author. You didn't yet know how much this book would grow to mean to you. You didn't yet know that a scene from this book would be one of the images that comes to you in those few minutes before you fall to sleep at night. But you have no idea what book it was.


Enter Harriet Logan. As the proprieter of her bookstore, over the years she was on the receiving end of many of these kinds of quieries: "um, I don't know the author, title, or when it was published, but it was a wonderful book and I could describe the cover to you...." Anyway, she could often solve these mysteries, but sometimes could not, and she decided to give over the unsolved mysteries to the internet. Stump the Bookseller was born. You go to the website, type in your description of your mystery book for a nominal fee of 2 bucks, and tons of other devoted Stumpers will attempt to solve it for you. Lots and lots and lots of mysteries have been solved in this manner, which makes for good and touching reading--go see for yourself.


A side note: my own mystery book has now been archived, as no one was able to solve it for me. But please don't let this dissuade you. In fact, dear readers, here's mine--perhaps one of you knows the answer!


"Old couple spruces up house for sale. Children’s book, early 70’s at the latest, possibly much earlier. An old man and woman live in an old, tumble-down shack. They want to sell it and move somewhere nicer, but no one wants to buy it. They decide to paint it, then plant flowers, then do another and another improvement….at the end of the book they like their spruced up house so much that they want to live there after all."

4 comments:

Heidi Day said...

That sounds delightful, wish I knew the title too!

I love your blog lately.

Catherine said...

I loved that book! I wish I could remember the title! I was just describing it to a friend who wanted to sell her house until she started fixing it up and making it the home she would buy if she could. Such beautiful illustrations, as I recall. I would love to see that one again.

Catherine said...

I loved that book! I wish I could remember the title! I was just describing it to a friend who wanted to sell her house until she started fixing it up and making it the home she would buy if she could. Such beautiful illustrations, as I recall. I would love to see that one again.

Anonymous said...

I FOUND THE BOOK!!!!!

I've been looking for it for a LONG time as well, and I came across your blog looking for it. So after years- I would like to share:

The House That Nobody Wanted by Lilian Moore. Illustrated by Arnold Lobel. :)

If you can't find a copy, you can email me at cedes_tanchuling@yahoo.com

I can scan it or something (oh no IPR). Best regards :)