Tuesday, February 5, 2008

inventing a new piano


I bet you'll be pleased to know, as I am, that new instruments are being invented out there, including a bowed piano (played by many musicians simultaneously, as you see here).
Read about Stephen Scott's invention here.
I love this photo. They are clearly musicians with their black attire, backdrop of heavy draperies in a performance hall, and their serious, "I make music" faces. Yet the instrument in question is beautiful in the way of the inventions that the kids on my Odyssey of the Mind team produce, made of string and duct tape and balsa wood and God-knows-what. The best part, though, is how these musicians must be glommed together in order to play the bowed piano. They look like kids earnestly working together, using kite string and chewing gum, to retrieve a penny dropped into a rain gutter.
I'd love to hear this thing. I bet it's fantastic.

No comments: