Friday, February 22, 2008

A really good cookbook


I've been doing some cooking today on this not-quite-Snow Day. (Let's call it a Rain Day, as Arlington Public Schools have canceled school for, um, rain. Not that I'm complaining! I'm loving this lazy day with my children, who are building a huge train set/Lego/marble run/plastic animal empire in the play room. Fantastic!)

And it put me in mind of this cookbook, which I love. The Mom's Guide to Meal Makeovers, by a couple of moms who are also registered dieticians, who are also good friends. Who are also good cookbook writers.

I first encountered this book when I was reviewing parenting books for Northwest Baby and Child in the Seattle area, and when I got it, I heaved a sigh....another cookbook? There are so many!

Yes. But this one I've kept and used very regularly. I've never had a failed meal out of it. And their perspective is friendly and refreshing--you don't have to eat perfectly, but most Americans do need to eat better. Then they proceed with 100 or so really tasty recipes that kids (and grown-ups) will (mostly) eat, and get more food groups on the table in more creative ways. Love it!

Also, check out their website, and their lovely and lively blog.

No comments: