Tuesday, April 8, 2008

off season soup

My friend Paula gave me this recipe for Winter Lentil Soup awhile back, when it was still winter, but I just got around to trying it last week. And, I don't care if it's spring! I don't care if it's the dog days of August! This is a great soup and I thought you should have the recipe, too.



I pureed it, in order to disguise what was really in it for the smaller diners at my table. The one who is a little bit picky downed a bowlful, and then a second bowlful. The really picker eater managed to eat quite a bit balanced on the end of crackers. So, that's an unqualified success around here. I think I might like it even better if it weren't pureed, so I'll do it sometime like that, too.



Thank you, Paula!

Winter Lentil Soup

4 leeks, white and light green parts only
2 bags of pre-washed spinach
1T. olive oil
1 28oz can whole tomatoes, drained
6cups water
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup brown lentils
1t. fresh thyme leaves (or 1t. dried)
2t. kosher salt
1/4t. black pepper
12 fresh basil leaves

Wash leeks and slice them into 1/2 inch thick half-moons. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, breaking them up with a spoon, for 5 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, lentils, thyme, salt, pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes. Mix in spinach and sliced basil. Serve with grated parmesan cheese and bread.

1 comment:

Heidi Day said...

I am so copying this and so making it. Wish you were here to have a bite with me. I have a recipe for some killer (gluten-free, I might add) Irish Soda Bread that would be fab with it.