Monday, April 7, 2008

Your five senses live in the present tense

A good and wise friend of mine recently said to me, hey, don't move before you move.

Oh, I'm not! I said. But maybe I am, and at least I know exactly what she means. It's something to guard against. Partly because I do still have a few good months to live here in the shadow of my nation's capital, but also because there is a larger lesson for me to learn here. If I'm too absorbed with the future (or with the past, oh yes that too), then the present can scurry by quite unnoticed. And since the present has two small beautiful children, and good friends and many other things--Springtime! for example--then missing it would be SOMETHING, even if the future looms large.

So, I'm trying to slow down and live it. I'll let you know how I do.

No comments: