Wednesday, October 1, 2008

In which this blog gets political


In case it's too small to read, the sign says HOPE.
For context for this photo, please watch this video.
I'm an enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama, and I look forward to voting for him in just a few short weeks. I believe he's a principled, brilliant, and capable leader.
This is no small thing for me, to announce my political leanings on this blog. First, I originally viewed this blog and an extension of my marketing for my Kindermusik program in Arlington, VA, and therefore not a place for political comment. Well, now that I'm in Ohio and I'm not yet teaching Kindermusik again, the blog has truly become (let's be honest) just about me me me. Well, it was starting to feel duplicitous to write posts that sounded like I was sharing what was really on my mind, when the truth is I've been thinking a great, great deal about this election and my views on it. So, I decided to declare myself.
Second, I was raised by wonderful, loving parents who also happen to be right-wing republicans. I would even call them Red Dog Republicans, to paraphrase Anne LeMott--meaning they would vote for a mangy old red dog before they would vote for a Democrat. It's been a long journey for me to figure out my personal world view and my political leanings, and while I'm certainly still figuring things out, I have been for a while now clearly and definitely (and now loudly) in the Democratic camp.
This should make things interesting around the Thanksgiving supper table.
Whoever you are and whatever your views, please vote on November 4th!

No comments: