Thursday, October 23, 2008

Now all we need is a yellow brick road


Yes, if you guessed Dorothy in the guess-the-costume post, you get an A+.


I don't think I fully appreciated how iconoclastic this costume is, until I was at the cutting counter at JoAnn's with these bolts in hand. "Oh, you're doing Dorothy!" she said. Um, yeah. A stunningly original idea, obviously. But that's okay. It was Leah's idea and she's going to have a great time, even if she's one of several Toto toting Dorothys in the school hallways.


I made a little white skirt, and this apron to wear over it with a white blouse. I'm very happy with how it turned out. More to the point, Leah loves it. I directly stole the idea of costume-as-apron from the amazingly creative Amy at http://angrychicken.typepad.com/ . So, after Halloween, she has a charming apron for hanging out in the kitchen with me. And lovely matching hair bows, should she choose to don them.


She told me she wanted to be Dorothy for Halloween about one second after I said "The End" when we read Frank L. Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of OZ this summer. She, nor Jacob, had seen the movie until this past weekend. Before seeing the movie, she was looking forward to her silver shoes. Well, of course! The shoes in the book are silver. I was all for dressing her in the silver shoes, and having her explain to everyone that she was Dorothy from the book, snob that I am. But Justin mentioned to her that most people will be expecting ruby slippers from the movie, and then we watched the movie, and that sealed the deal. Our household Dorothy will have her ruby slippers. (FYI, they changed the color to ruby in the film to take better advantage of that fancy new color technology they were showing off for the first time.)


Now you get to guess what the rest of the family is planning to be. That is, if the older child decides. Bless his heart.

No comments: