Monday, September 8, 2008

Composer's Datebook

It's been way too long since I've posted! For anyone who's been checking, wondering where I got off to, my apologies. My excuse: school has started. Oh, my. Systems seem to be mostly in place now, 2 weeks in, thank goodness.

I've got something for you! I haven't posted something even vaguely musical in quite some time, so I felt it was time. I've come across a wonderful service called Composer's Datebook from American Public Media. Many public radio stations broadcast it, but if yours doesn't or if you miss it, you can have them e-mail it to you. Oh, the joy of this, I tell you! Every day you receive a short, fascinating anecdote about a composer, living or dead. You can just read this, of course, but click on the "listen" button, and you'll hear the text as it played on the air with a snippit of the composer's music in the background, to ground your ear in time and place. It's a 30 second education about our musical heritage. It's great. Sign up here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now this was worth waiting for you to come back. I've missed you. I'm signing up for this little thing, thanks! My kids are back in school too...things are more smooth now...I can relate!