Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Early


These are my children, riding off on their first day of school (I'm on my bike right behind them--my husband snapped this shot).
And that red glow? That would be the sun, not yet risen.
School starts sooooo early here--7:30. Some of the bus riders board their bus at 6:55am. When I learned that, I felt a tiny bit better about how early we have to start here at the Hall household.
I wake both of them from a dead sleep at 6:30am, when it is still perfectly dark outside. Before the birds sing. Before the dog wakes up. Before civilization as I know it wakes up. That gives them 50 minutes to be on their bikes and riding away, which is really not quite enough, but I can't bear to wake them any earlier. So, we've learned to lay out clothes the night before, locate shoes and pack backpacks the night before. I get up at 6am, which is earlier than my husband--you know, the guy in the military. Sheesh, that makes it feel early. And I have to hit the floor running, breakfast and packed lunches and all that. But I am getting the hang of it. And I try not to think of the old days in Virginia, when they could wander out of bed somewhere between 7:45 and 8am, and still have plenty of time to get to school. Sigh.
A side note--they get out of school at 2pm, but really 1:54pm. Which is so early that I often realize I haven't had lunch yet when it's time to pick them up. But I love the big gap between after school and dinner. They unwind, play, read a little, Jacob gets his homework done--it's all the luxury of time that we lack in the morning. Which is nice. We might even get to the point where we prefer it to the old schedule.

No comments: